Friday, July 29, 2005

yield

Sat with tea this morning and stared at my tomato plants at the opposite end of the porch. I mean really looked...and this time really saw. And I had to laugh.

I've had some wonderful successes with growing tomatoes in containers, but this year has been pretty feeble. But I had no idea. What I was staring at were two "Sweet 100" cherry tomato plants, each bearing only one -- count 'em, one -- measly "tomat", as my grandmother used to call them.

I give up! I'll just have to call them "Sweet 1/100th." The plants themselves are spindly and sorry-looking and those two pitiful fruit are the only survivors out of what appear to be many dried up or fallen blossoms. Oh, well. I never really gave them what they needed, I guess, and I milked the "cool wet spring" excuse as much as I could.

"It is what it is" has been running through my mind and off my tongue for the past week...and now those tiny tomats. A disappointing yield for sure, but there they are -- two rosy, robust survivors and I'm betting that they are the sweetest 1/100ths ever!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home