Saturday, June 25, 2005

sorting, sort of

My mother was an organizer before it became a profession. As I further sorted her already meticulously sorted things last night, I had to laugh at the prospect of her coaching those of us who are organizationally-impaired. Her approach would have been straight-forward: Get rid of it. Funny.

I may have to join a recovery group to get over my native inclination to take things that others have decided need to go. Even with my mom, I'd haul things away with me so that she didn't have to worry about how to deal with her cast-offs. I then had to face the results my years of cycling (not recycling) stuff when I moved. So now that she's gone maybe I won't be so tempted to be as "helpful" anymore. On the other hand, deciding what to keep and what to pass along is giving me the chance to truly benefit others and it's been surprisingly easy. It's kind of like having a friendship garden only with furniture and things...

I think she'd approve.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home