Monday, August 14, 2006

in appreciation

I stumbled upon some unexpected news the other day. Jean Baker Miller, author of "Toward a New Psychology of Women", died recently and I found myself among the millions around the globe remembering and mourning the passing of this noted pioneer. I'd heard her speak a couple of times, but had first read and been inspired by her book in the seventies and came to admire her dedicated spirit and achievements including the Jean Baker Miller Training Institute at Wellesley Centers for Women at Wellesley College.

I revisited her book fifteen years after that first reading when I was working on an independent study at Lesley College (now Lesley University), and it still spoke to me, resonating with the truth of my own experience. I recall her saying that we often don't know how far we've come until we look back, reflecting upon our lives. Reflection made so much sense to me at midlife and dovetailed with my belief in the inherent power of personal reflective writing. I've relied on writing for rumination...speculation...discovery...and simple recognition of that which is meaningful to me and might otherwise go unnoticed. I suppose it allows me to both observe and author my life.

I keep thinking about Jean Baker Miller because the news of her death truly touched me. She was one who informed me when I was finding my way through the confounding world of corporations. Her words reached me thirty years ago as a young woman exploring who I was and where I fit in the world in general, and again years later when it was time for me to carve an uncharted path. I have her and others to thank for encouraging -- empowering -- me at both stages to make my own way
. Sadly, however, I never wrote the thank-you note I'd intended to after hearing her speak. Unfinished business, words left unspoken. Sometimes the most meaningful writing gives voice to that which we've only been thinking. Because I missed my chance with Dr. Miller, I'm now contemplating who else deserves to hear my appreciation while there's still time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home