Thursday, May 19, 2005

friends

Yesterday was friend E's birthday. We've known each other since grade school and are lucky to still have close ties after all these years. There is a small circle of us who've known each other so long and well that we can pick right up even though there are now hundreds and even thousands of miles between us. They know me in ways that others without that shared history cannot. They are keepers of my past and often give myself back to me with their memories and insights. They are my sisters-of-the-heart.

Today I had lunch with two newer vintage friends. You know when you just feel an immediate connection and comfort with someone? I feel this with both of them. Nice, too, that they don't live hundreds of miles away. But near or far, I love having friends who will tell me their truth, listen deeply, and even risk telling me what I need to hear. I won't burden either of them with that responsibility, but can definitely see the possibility of shared confidences, mutual support and laughing at the same things. Nice.

All in all it was a good day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home