Saturday, March 12, 2005

wintertime and the livin' ain't easy

At the risk of stating the obvious, it's snowing again, but I'm holding onto the faint hope that spring is on the horizon -- just behind those storm clouds and a week away.

It's a good day to stay in and continue plowing through the mounds and drifts of paper that I've justified keeping for so long. I can see incremental progress, but also realize that will stop if I stay on here long.

Perhaps the only disappointment is that my inroads won't be readily apparent to others. Once the obvious piles were whittled down, the rest of the glut was still hidden in file drawers. Happily, however, I've finally awakened to the fact that files are for retrieval not storage -- a mantra chanted by organizers. Having turned that landmark corner in logic, I'm now able to cut deeper and wider swaths and the recyling bin is rapidly filling. So forgive the mixed metaphors and my waxing poetic, but this recurring paper conundrum has been a source of confusion, frustration and embarrassment.

Enough. That cascade of white outside my window reminds me that it's time to get back to culling, sorting and shredding for a while more. The reward for my diligence is a jaunt into the New England Flower Show this week. I'll probably faint in the unfamiliar warmth and humidity. Not such a bad way to go, hmm? And I promise not to tote catalogues and brochures home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home